Friday, January 20, 2012

Rewritten Scene

When Tom came to visit, I was glad to see him and I also noticed his friend, Nick.  He seemed like a moderate gentleman, but of course, I was mostly interested in Tom.  As usual, I enjoyed gossiping with the McKee’s and the rest of them about how bad my current husband is and also about Gatsby.  Nobody knows very much about that new money foreigner, and because we are all curious about him, we all spread rumors about that freak.  He is completely insignificant to the rest of us just because he is new money.  Also, I heard he got rich by working with the guy who caused the Cincinnati Reds to win the 1919 World Series, which was a huge deal in the Midwest.  Otherwise, I really don’t know that much about that guy.  Anyway, we all got really drunk, and I noticed Nick passed out for an hour there.  Eventually, we were all so drunk the group got to the topic of Daisy, Tom’s wife whom he is cheating on with me.  Who cares?  I’m much better than her anyway.  And so what if what I was telling about her were lies, anyway?  She doesn’t know about it, so she can’t hurt me.  Eventually, I started repeating her name annoyingly to Tom to bother him uncontrollably.  It was a bad idea in the end, of course, but I wanted to bother him.  After all, I’m drunk anyway.  Nonetheless, Tom hit me square in the nose, and he broke it.  I was bleeding all over the place, yet I still loved Tom a ton.  However, he doesn’t seem to like anyone bringing up his current wife.  He does think men are superior to women anyway, but so does everyone today.  I still love him though, and I don’t care at all about my current husband.  I hate him.

No comments:

Post a Comment